The Snowman (Harry Hole 7) by Jo Nesbo

My Rating: 4 Stars. 


Date finished: October 2017 



Date published: 10/5/11



Synopsis from Goodreads: 







Internationally acclaimed crime writer Jo Nesbø’s antihero police investigator, Harry Hole, is back: in a bone-chilling thriller that will take Hole to the brink of insanity. 

Oslo in November. The first snow of the season has fallen. A boy named Jonas wakes in the night to find his mother gone. Out his window, in the cold moonlight, he sees the snowman that inexplicably appeared in the yard earlier in the day. Around its neck is his mother’s pink scarf. 

Hole suspects a link between a menacing letter he’s received and the disappearance of Jonas’s mother—and of perhaps a dozen other women, all of whom went missing on the day of a first snowfall. As his investigation deepens, something else emerges: he is becoming a pawn in an increasingly terrifying game whose rules are devised—and constantly revised—by the killer.

Fiercely suspenseful, its characters brilliantly realized, its atmosphere permeated with evil, The Snowman is the electrifying work of one of the best crime writers of our time.


My Review:

This is my first Nesbo read and I actually only picked this up because I wanted to read it before the film came out at the cinema. I sometimes don't tend to pick up books by crime thriller authors who are highly acclaimed as they are start becoming samey. The characters are all very similar and there is just nothing very unique about them. Obviously this is my opinion, and this is definitely not to say that said books are a good read etc. 

This was actually a pretty decent read and I would say I enjoyed it overall. There are a few things that weren't that great and that is mostly to do with the amount of irrelevant information. I felt like Nesbo added way too much extra in this book and could probably have shaved off around 100 pages off the overall book. I did however really enjoy not knowing who the killer was and all the plot twists that put you off finding out who the real killer was. I'm not sure how much I really liked Hole as a character, I think I am pretty indifferent to him overall. I would also say that it is pretty easy to pick up a book by Nesbo without reading the previous books in the series. I had no trouble getting through this. A good crime thriller writer will always make it possible for a reader to jump into a series at any point and Nesbo has definitely achieved this. 

I won't talk too much about the film other than to say that I really though the killer was going to be somebody completely different in the film compared to the book. There were alot of inconsistencies and although a film can only fit in so much in such a small amount of time compared to the book, some of these made the film a whole different plot line to the book. The book was obviously much better and I preferred the way that Nesbo achieved his killer ending compared to the film. 

Overall, I definitely would say that I will pick up another Nesbo book in the future and hope it is just as good as this one. 

Happy reading :) 


0 comments:

Post a Comment